"We waited until the last minuted," said Geraldine Fletcher, Nanty Glo. "We've been watching the storm move closer and decided to run out to get emergency supplies."
ACE Hardware in Ebensburg sold out of its last Kerosine Heater Monday morning.
"We're so lucky we got it," said Fletcher.
"If you didn't get it by now you're not going to get it," said Barb Lego, ACE Store Manager. "We've been selling items left and right... some are even backordered."
Sandy is expected to be the storm of century it's being dubbed "Frankenstorm." Already, schools and mass transit have shut down, cities up and down the coast have been evacuated.
Cambria County Emergency Management has been monitoring the storm for several days.
"We have shelters and plans ready to be activated if need be," said Ron Springer, Cambria County EMA Director. "We're monitoring everything very closely."
Cambria EMA gave these tips for residents:
- Watch rising flood waters - be prepared to evacuate BEFORE routes become blocked.
- Power outages are expected and could be prolonged. Gather your supplies within your home and be prepared to be without power for hours and/or days.
- Pets - make arrangements now for proper shelter. Outdoors is not advisable.
- Secure any outdoor items or furnishings. Better yet - bring inside.
- If using a portable generator - do not use indoors. Be alert to carbon monoxide build-up. Do not refuel generators when they are hot.
- Check on the welfare with elderly and special-need family members, neighbors and friends.
- Stay home - out of the weather and off the road if your schedule and commitments allow.
Check out our map of Power Outages in Central PA.
Find locations and report power outages that you know about.