BELLEFONTE, CENTRE COUNTY - Almost one month after a purposely-set fire destroyed the iconic Hotel Do-De in Bellefonte, the skeleton of a building remains, but not for long.
Most recently, top parts of the building, including the cupola, were taken down for safety reasons.
Hotel Do-De owner John Dann watched as parts of his building were hauled away in a truck.
"It hurts to watch them do it," he said. "But we're cleaning it up and making it safe here."
After several inspections following the fire, it was decided that the building would have to come down.
"I'm losing something I worked for all my life," Dann said. "I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet, but I'll find something.
More than 20 tenants at the Do-De were left without a place to call home after the fire.
Dann has spent a lot of time trying to blunt the effects of the fire on his former tenants.
He's currently organizing a fund-raising dance for those still trying to get back on their feet.
The historic Garman theatre next to the Hotel Do-De was also badly damaged in the fire.
The arson is still being investigated.