Cooking Time: 10 min
* 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter, softened
* 1 cup granulated sugar
* 1 egg
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 3/4 cup jam or preserves (see Options)
* 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1. In a large bowl, with an electric beater on medium speed, beat butter, granulated sugar, egg, vanilla, and salt until creamy. Gradually add flour, beating until well mixed. Cover and chill 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
3. Divide dough into 4 pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each piece to 1/8-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch round cookie cutter, cut out circles and place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Using a plastic drinking straw, randomly cut out circles of dough from half the cookies.
4. Bake cookies 10 to 12 minutes, or until light golden. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
5. Spread jam evenly over solid cookies. Sprinkle remaining cookies with confectioners' sugar. Place the cookies with holes over the jam-topped cookies. Serve, or store in an airtight container.
* These cookies are delicious and adorable! We suggest putting out a plate of these along with mugs of steaming cider.
* Any flavor jam can be used, but we like to use an assortment so there are different colors peeking through the holes in the cookies.
Related Recipes: Icebox Walnut Cookies, Half Moon Cookies, Sunny Lemon Fruit Bites