Today, people love being "tan" and sun bathe constantly to get that coveted golden glow. But, Lynn says, for women of the 16th and 17th centuries, pale and pasty was the perfect shade! She explains why.
1. A Way to Whiten the Skin, and Take Away Sun-Burn (includes a modernization of original recipe using grapes):
Take of rain water and the juice of unripe grapes, each alike in quantity.
"Boil them together till one half be consumed."
"While it boils, add so much juice of lemons as was boiled away before."
Bring to a boil
Take off the fire
Add 4 egg whites
Wash your face with it every morning.
2. "A Water to Take Away Wrinkles in the Face" (includes modernization using cucumbers and figs):
Then an equal amount of figs
Put on face
Then wash off
From 1748 - 3 Easy Steps to Retaining Youth and Keeping Old Age Away
1. Always Rise from Table with an Appetite and Never Fast too Long.
2. Do Not Eat Immediately After Exercise.
3. Walk to Create an Appetite, and Ride after Dinner to Strengthen the Limbs. Dull Sight and Squinting are Helped by Shooting; Stooping by Swinging your Arms and Body.