WFBG-TV's first regular broadcast occurred on March First, 1953. That broadcast originated from the station's mountaintop studio located at the base of the station's transmitter on the top of Wopsononock Mountain. The station's motto from it earliest days was "Serve Central Pennsylvania." Programming on WFBG-TV could be seen from Pittsburgh to State College.
WFBG-TV became a C-B-S affiliate in 1955. After construction of the Commerce Park Complex in 1959, the station moved its studios and offices to Altoona. A local bandstand show hosted by Dick DiAndrea was a popular program of that era and attracted a large following.
The station has always produced plenty of local and live programming. One of the most popular personalities of the past was Big John Riley who was know not only for his forecasting but for the role he played in the community for more than 25 years.
The station was acquired by Gateway Communications and re-named WTAJ-TV in 1973. The new call letters were to call attention to Altoona and Johnstown. State college became part of the broadcast market at a later date.
WTAJ-TV was acquired by its current owner, Nexstar Broadcasting, in January of 2007. Key improvements over the years include the ability to broadcast live from anywhere, expanded regional coverage, and the recent upgrade to high definition broadcasting. With each new technical upgrade, the station's goal remains to provide the best and most complete coverage of news, weather and sports for the people who live Central Pennsylvania.