STATE COLLEGE, CENTRE COUNTY - A family had to spend the night away from home after a fire at their residence early Wednesday morning.
The blaze broke out just after 1:00 a.m. at a home in the 200 block of East McCormick Avenue in State College Borough.
Firefighters said the fire started because ashes were left in cardboard box on the home's porch.
There is damage to the home's first floor, as well as smoke damage throughout the structure. The family will be able to return home after some repairs are made, but there is no timetable about when that might happen.