LOGAN TOWNSHIP, BLAIR COUNTY - Several special guests spoke to thousands of children on Monday morning in a celebration of the 20th anniversary of the Beating the Odds Foundation.
5,000 fourth through sixth graders went to the Beating the Odds Foundation's Quarterbacks of Life rally on Monday morning at the Blair County Ballpark.
The rally featured several special guests and motivation speakers, including:
- Quinton Aaron, co-star in The Blind Side
- Adam Taliaferro, former PSU football player who overcame a career-ending spinal injury
- Bob Wieland, Vietnam War hero
- Bo Eason, actor and former NFL player
- P.J. Maierhofer, Penn State's feature twirler
- Kim Cooper, pilot for Southwest Airlines
The Quarterbacks for Life addresses the students about dreams, goals, obstacles and never giving up. These speakers are real-life role models who have overcome obstacles in their lives and triumphed. In the face of challenges they have never given up. They have beaten the odds.
Beating the Odds Foundation is a mentoring and motivational charity founded in 1990 by former Altoona Police Officer, Rocco Scalzi. The foundation was created to teach children that no matter what obstacles they're facing, they can overcome and achieve their dreams.