It was three years ago this week when Irvin said she was about to go to bed but Lola kept barking.
"There was a beeping, it was not like a smoke detector but I could not make out what it was," said Irvin. "Finally, I got up and went to the basement where Lola was scratching at the door - here it was my carbon monoxide alarm."
Irvin said her dog saved her life.
"I love this dog, she's my hero."
In mid fall emergency responders remind people to check the batteries in both the smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.
"People realize their smoke detectors need batteries but forget about their carbon monoxide detectors," said Assistant Johnstown Fire Chief Tom Horner. "They both need to be changed on a regular basis."
Irvin said she hopes by sharing her story it will remind people to check their batteries and get their furnace serviced.