Cooking Time: 25 min
* 1 pound store-bought fresh or frozen dough, thawed if frozen
* 8 ounces hot Italian sausage, casings removed
* 1 medium-sized green bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch strips
* 5 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced (about 2 cups)
* 1 teaspoon dried basil
* 3/4 cup pizza or spaghetti sauce
* 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
* 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 450F. Coat a 12-inch deep-dish pizza pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a large skillet, cook and stir sausage over medium-low heat until no pink remains. Stir in pepper, mushrooms, and basil; reduce heat to low. Cook 5 to 6 minutes, until vegetables are just tender, then drain excess liquid.
3. Using your fingertips or the heel of your hand, spread dough so it covers bottom of pan and dough comes three-quarters of the way up the sides. Cover and let rise 10 minutes.
4. Spread sauce evenly over crust and top with sausage mixture then mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
5. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until crust is crisp and brown. Cut and serve.
You can make a milder version of this by using mild sausage. Use a sausage that's got the degree of spiciness your gang enjoys.
If you have a Health related story that you would like to see on WTAJ News, please email Charlotte at email@example.com.