(STATE COLLEGE, CENTRE COUNTY) - In today's Life & Health Segment, Orthopedic Case Manager Valerie Coakley talks about Winter Health and Safety.
According to the CDC, 440,000 people were treated at hospitals, doctor's offices and emergency rooms in 2010 for winter sports-related injuries.
Here are Coakley's tips for how to stay safe this holiday season.
- Wear appropriate protective gear
- Wear several layers of light, loose and water-resistant clothing
- Warm up muscles (cold muscles are more vulnerable to injury)
- Know and abide by all winter sport rules
- Check that equipment is working properly
- Never participate alone
- Seek shelter and medical attention if you feel "uncomfortably cold".
- Stay in good physical condition all year long to reduce the risk of injury
Life & Health airs every Thursday on Central PA Live.