Did you know that over 5,000 people die each year from distracted driving in the United States?
Did you also know that studies show texting while driving impairs a driver in the same manner as being legally intoxicated?
That's why WTAJ Your News Leader and WeAreCentralPA are teaming up with Safe Auto Insurance and Stocker Chevrolet to bring you No TXT CentralPA. It's a brand new program meant to do one thing: get all drivers in Central Pennsylvania to pledge to never text while driving.
Help us put the brakes on texting and driving. Sign the pledge, and then follow through on your word. We're all counting on you!
- Approximately 211 teens ages 16 to 17 were killed in the U.S. in motor vehicle crashes from January-June 2011.
- Teens are more likely to underestimate hazardous driving conditions or are unable to recognize them at all.
- 61% of teens admit to risky driving habits.
- Teens have the lowest rate of seat belt use.
- Drivers under the age of 20 have a crash rate about 3.5 times the rate of mature drivers. Crash rates are highest at age 16.